Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Weight Loss Encouragement

Hello All:

I pray that All is well with you all. I have been very busy of late with so many things. I really wanted to be able to post every week, but as usual plans do go awry.

A little over three weeks ago, I decided to join Weight Watchers after following the advice of my doctor. She knew that I already had a good diet and exercise routine but it was only allowing me to maintain my weight. After only 3 weeks, I have lost 12pounds. I have a long way to go, but I am determined to continue until I am at healthy weight. I am sharing this with you all to encourage someone to take control of their health. Even if you are not overweight, that does not mean that you are healthy. For those of you may not have heard, in July of 2009, after my annual physical showed that I was pre-diabetic, I changed my diet. Three months later, I re-tested and my glucose levels were normal. I credit the book "Reversing Diabetes Cookbook" (can be ordered online through Amazon.com. for around $11) In this book, it advises replacing the sugar in our diet with the following: Stevia, Xylitol, Brown Rice Syrup and Agave Syrup. The writers of the book also warned against things like Splenda and other artificial sweeteners which are not natural. I also started using Steel Cut Oats (soak overnight before cooking) instead of Rolled Oats and my husband who was diagnosed with high cholesterol--saw his numbers decrease to normal levels. There are many other valuable tips and recipes in the book to attain overall good health, it is not just about reversing diabetes.

A word about Weight Watchers for anyone wanting to try it. I have been able to lose weight rapidly because I have incorporated my lessons from the cookbook into the program. WW program is not considerate to those who were "pre-diabetic", they are into weight loss. I mention this as a caution, because many of the snacks that they offer for sale contain corn syrup, sugar, dextrose and other ingredients that the cookbook states not to eat. It would make no sense for anyone to lose weight and then end up with diabetes.

I thank God for my family and friends who have encouraged me ever since I shared that I was joining WW. God bless you all--and I look forward to having all of you see the NEW me in a couple of months. Be encouraged and pray for me as I pray for you.

1 comment:

  1. This a great post Koralee. Each of us needs to be '100% responsibilty' for their life and if you have no health, you have no life. I am looking forward to seeing the new you when I am in Atlanta in May for my daughters graduation. See you then!!!

    ReplyDelete